Apply to the Fellowship Program
If your native language/ the language of instruction and patient care during your undergraduate/postgraduate medical studies is not English, you will be required to submit evidence of English language proficiency at the time of application, in the form of scores equal to or exceeding the minimums on the following standardized tests (scores must be obtained within the previous 2 years):
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), with a minimum acceptable overall score of 93 and a Speaking section score of at least 24.
- The academic version of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a minimum acceptable score of an overall band 7.
Securing Fellowship Supervision
Prospective Fellows should contact potential supervisors at least one year prior to the start date to inquire about potential supervision, as securing supervision is a requirement of the application process:
- UofT Psychiatry faculty members with expertise in your area of interest can be contacted directly through the information listed on their profile page in the faculty directory to inquire about available fellowship opportunities.
- Fellowship opportunities are routinely posted on our website, under the 'Available Fellowship Opportunities' section.
- For more information on fellowship training opportunities and guidance on the application process, you may contact the Fellowship Director or the Psychiatry Fellowship Office.
Clinical fellows must secure a minimum of $65,000 (CAD) per annum in funding, either through governmental scholarships, sponsorship, or occasionally from the prospective supervisor’s funding. Research fellows must secure a minimum of $50,000 (CAD)/annum.
Submitting an Application
Note: Potential applicants must have secured supervision and funding before initiating an application for a clinical/research fellowship appointment with the department.
Fellows must register with the University of Toronto. This is arranged through the Fellowship office. In addition, Fellows must register at the teaching site where their training will be based.
Start Date: the academic year starts on July 1. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, with the following deadlines:
- Applicants requiring a work permit: Due to processing times at immigration offices, Post Graduate Medical Education (PGME) and the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO), complete application packages must be received by the Fellowship Office 6 – 8 months in advance of the training start date. For example, complete application paperwork must be received by January 1st for Fellowship training that is scheduled to begin on July 1st of the same year.
- Canadian citizens / Permanent Residents: Complete application packages must be received by the Fellowship Office 4 months in advance of the training start date. For example, complete application paperwork must be received by April 1st for Fellowship training that is scheduled to begin on July 1st of the same year.
To ensure eligibility for a medical license, contact the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario. They will also assist you with inquiries about recognition of qualifications or training, if such were obtained outside of Canada, licensure requirements, work permits, and related matters.
Note: If you are considering applying to one of the Department of Psychiatry's Clinical or Research Fellowships, and you have also applied to the U.S. match through the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP), please be advised that the University of Toronto is a participating institution and adheres to the match policy. The policy states that "Applicants who have matched to a program or have accepted a position during the Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program (SOAP), shall not apply for, discuss, interview for, or accept a concurrent year position in another program prior to the NRMP granting the requested waiver." More information is accessible on the NRMP Specialty Matching Services Match Participation Agreement.
Please contact the Fellowship Office for further information on the required application materials (email@example.com)
Psychiatry Fellowship Application Form
Educational Objectives Form.docx
- Review the application form for a full list of required documents.
- The Educational Objectives Form should be filled and signed by the fellowship supervisor.
- The documents can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org as they become available, but the appointment will not be processed until the complete application package is received.
If you have further questions about the application process, please contact the Fellowship Director or Fellowship Office:
Dr. Daniel Mueller
Department of Psychiatry
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH)
Fellowship Program Coordinator
Department of Psychiatry
832-250 College Street
Toronto, ON M5T 1R8