Mental Health and Addiction Acute Care Alliance
Adult Psychiatry hosts the Toronto Mental Health and Addiction Acute Care Alliance (MH&A ACA) – an organization that strives to improve clinical coordination and management of psychiatric and behavioural emergencies. It is involved with inpatient care across the Toronto Central LHIN region through a partnership with seven hospitals:
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
- Mount Sinai Hospital
- St. Joseph’s Health Centre
- St. Michael’s Hospital
- Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- Toronto East General Hospital
- University Health Network
Alliance Clinical Accomplishments
- Provides the right acute mental health and addictions care, in the right place, at the right time, in a respectful, client-centered manner, by optimizing existing capacity through connections with appropriate inpatient, outpatient, and/or community-based services.
Alliance Research Accomplishments
- Standardizes data collection across sites to produce large, structured databases that facilitate research efforts and knowledge generation on assessment, management, and outcomes of psychiatric emergencies.
- Tests the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of an intervention addressing the needs of frequent emergency department users (CATCH-ED) using a randomized controlled trial.
- Is developing a collaborative care model for frequent emergency department users.
- Is developing a model to coordinate access to urgent psychiatric care.
- Assessing the training needs of community mental health service providers to better deliver knowledge of evidence-based practice.